Saturday, March 17, 2007

sisters, real and not so real

the bad news first: i made a little girl cry today. i feel terribly about it. i took my volunteer BBBS little sister to Mountain High today-- we drove 2 hours through the desert only to arrive upon dirt patches modestly annointed with sludge. am i just a vail snob now, or did the necessity of powder occur to the people who advertise spring skiing there? so, pair the bare runs with me lifting the kid under the arms the whole way down the mountain, fruitlessly screaming "snow-plow", and there you have my day. i was raised with the "sink or swim method" and swear by it. no training wheels here. just a strong push from dad on my first bike in an empty parking lot and the words, "if you keep pedaling, you can't fall-- if you stop, you will." to make matters worse, she *insisted* upon (horror of horrors) In-and-out, where i was ogled by a man wearing denim farmer overalls with nothing undernearth while i watched traffic build, bumper-to-bumper, on the 10.

the GOOD NEWS: my youngest sister has been accepted to the UC schools to which she applied! SCORE for the westside! Hooray, my little N-dinka!